Vegan Nicoise Salad
The cold potatoes and luscious olives are the highlight of this salad. A creamy ripe avocado provides substance while the crunchy green beans and asparagus sing spring and summer. This salad is perfect when eaten outdoors in a lovely french garden.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Compose
- 6 small red or yellow potatoes
- 1 cup green beans or haricot verts, trimmed
- 1 cup fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 head lettuce, chopped (such as butter, green or romaine)
- 1/2 cup pitted Nicoise, green, or kalamata olives
- 2 tomatoes cut into wedges, or 16 cherry tomatoes cut in half, or 4 roasted tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- One 8-ounce package baked tofu, diced (optional)
- 3 Tbsp minced shallot
- 1 heaping teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup white, white wine or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp vegan mayo to thicken dressing
- Add potatoes to a small saucepan and add warm water until just covered. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat until the water is at a low boil. Cook uncovered for 10-12 minutes, or until completely tender. Drain and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, slice each potato into 4 wedges. Set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking, fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add green beans or haricot verts and boil for 2-4 minutes, or until bright green and crisp tender. You can also place green beans in a steamer over the boiling water. Once the green beans are bright green and crisp tender, plunge them into an ice water bath to stop from cooking further. Drain and pat dry – set aside. Repeat with the asparagus.
- Add dressing ingredients to a mason jar (or whisk in a small mixing bowl) and shake vigorously to combine. Set aside.
- To serve, divide lettuce between two large serving bowls or plates and top with asparagus, green beans, potatoes, onion, olives, tomato, avocado, and tofu (if using). Serve with dressing. Best when fresh, though leftovers pack/keep well up to 2 days when the dressing is stored separately. Store extra dressing (well-sealed) at room temperature in a dark place up to 2-3 days.
- Be sure to add a sliced cucumber, if you have a spring abundance of them.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if you have it.
- This salad would be great with sliced radishes and / or salad turnips.
Keywords: Olives, Nicoise Salad, Avacado