It is generally believed that the ingredients used in making Tom Yum Soup are beneficial in improving your health. This is very delicious hot and sour soup so adding this to your regular meal rotation would be welcomed by all especially during the flu season.Print
Tom Yum Soup
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Cuisine: Thai Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 to 2 stalks lemongrass (minced, or 3 to 4 tablespoons frozen or jarred prepared lemongrass)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 5 to 6 cups vegetable stock (or Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base)
- 3 whole kaffir lime leaves
- 1 to 2 red chilies (sliced, or 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed chili, or 1 to 2 teaspoons chili sauce)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 thumb-size piece ginger, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms (such as shiitake, sliced)
- 2 cups baby bok choy (leaves separated or chopped if large, or substitute broccoli or bell pepper)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or substitute 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes (drained))
- 1 package soft tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 1 can coconut milk (good-quality, full fat)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons organic white or yellow miso
- 1 tablespoon vegemite or Marmite
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (roughly chopped)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves (roughly chopped)
- 4 scallions, cut on a diagonal
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add oil.
- Add lemongrass and onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should become translucent and soft and slightly browned.
- Pour in stock.
- Add lime leaves, chili, garlic, and ginger. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes, or until broth is very fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft.
- Add the bok choy and cherry tomatoes. Gently simmer 1 to 2 more minutes (bok choy should remain on the crisp side). Add the soft tofu and gently stir.
- Carefully remove about 1/2 cup of the hot broth and put in a glass bowl. Muddle in the vegemite or Marmite and miso until smooth and stir mixture back into the soup.
- Reduce heat to low and add the coconut milk, sugar, soy sauce, and lime juice. Taste-test and adjust as needed. Remove lime leaves.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with fresh basil, cilantro and green onions.
Keywords: Vegan Tom Yum Soup, Vegan Dinner Party, Soup for Starters