Roasted Tomato and Carrot Soup
Roasting tomatoes along with whole (smashed) garlic cloves on a sheet pan until they’re soft and sweetened with their own juices, develops a natural deep tomato flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 2–3 1x
- Category: Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 – 10 large vine-ripened tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 – 5 cloves garlic (peeled and smashed with the back of a knife)
- 1 medium / large onion chopped
- 2 – 3 yellow or red potatoes diced
- 2 – 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup vermouth
- 4–5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp maramite
- 1 – 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups veggie stock, preferably low salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 stick Earth Balance
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 – 2 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1 tsp real salt (or to taste)
- croutons and basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 430°F. Place tomatoes on a baking tray with the garlic cloves. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast for about 25 minutes, or until soft and charred on the tops.
- Heat the olive oil and earth balance in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and carrots. Saute for about 5 minutes, until tender. Add the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Use the vermouth to deglaze the pan and scrape up any potatoes stuck to the bottom of the pan. Stir in the nutritional yeast, nutmeg, maramite, worcestershire, and pepper and stir well.
- Pour stock over the mixture and bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes and carrots are very tender.
- Stir in the the roasted tomatoes and garlic.
- Turn off heat and let soup cool for 10 minutes (if you want to be safe about the hot stuff in the blender). Process soup in vitamix with 1 clove garlic until very smooth. (Side Note: If it isn’t tomatoey enough, you could add some tomato paste at this point – but that kind of defeats the fresh tomato aspect of the soup…) Pour back into pot.
- Process soymilk and cashews until very smooth. Add to soup. Season with salt and lemon juice to taste. Reheat the soup over low heat just until hot and serve with julienned basil leaves and/or croutons.
Keywords: Vegan Soup