Mashed Potatoes and Broccoli
This recipe is easy to prepare and reheats very well. Try adding a clove of minced garlic or a pinch of red pepper flakes. Garnish with chives or chopped onion greens.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- 1 pound broccoli, ends trimmed, stems peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut halves or quarters
- 4 tablespoons chopped carrot greens or parsley
- 1 cup almond milk ricotta, almond milk cream cheese, or cashew cream (see note)
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon lactic acid (see note)
- 3 – 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fill a large pot with cold salted water. Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until almost tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli and continue boiling until very tender, another 5 – 8 minutes.
- Drain well and return to the pot. Mash vegetables with a potato masher until chunky.
- Add the carrot greens or parsley, ricotta, cream cheese or cashew cream, nutritional yeast, lactic acid, lemon juice, and vegan butter. Fold in until combined and mash a bit more. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Finish with olive oil. Mash to desired consistency. Serve immediately.
If you have access to Kite Hill ricotta or Kite Hill cream cheese, use that. If not, make cashew cream and increase the lemon juice by a tablespoon or two.
Lactic acid has a mildly tart flavor and adds complexity. It is worth trying.