Instant Pot Corn Risotto with Peas
Making risotto in an instant pot pressure cooker means no stirring, and no ladling of stock one cup at a time. Easy enough for a weeknight, but elegant enough for company.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- 6 ears of corn, shucked
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt (or smoked salt) and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh peas
- Pea shoots for garnish
- Chives, chopped, for garnish
- Cut the corn from the cobs. Set corn kernels aside. Reserve 4 corn cobs, with ends and any bad parts cut away and discarded.
- Set the instant pot to sauté. Melt vegan butter and sauté corn kernels until tender, 2 – 5 minutes. Transfer corn to a bowl.
- Keeping instant pot set to sauté, heat olive oil. Add shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the rice and lightly toast it to release the starch, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and cook until reduced, about 2 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and the three reserved cobs to the liquid and close the pressure cooker. Set the pressure to high and timer to cook for 5 minutes.
- While the risotto cooks, transfer half the sautéed corn to a blender along with the cashews, soy or almond milk, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
- After the risotto has cooked, quick release the steam by opening the steam release valve. Carefully open the cooker directing the steam away from you.
- Remove the cobs, scraping the liquid from the cobs back into the risotto.
- Stir in the corn purée, sautéed corn and fresh peas. Add more kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. When peas and corn are heated through, serve immediately, by dividing between four bowls. Top with pea shoots and chopped chives.
Chopped fresh herbs like basil, cilantro, or dill, are great with this dish. Stir them in when you stir in the fresh peas. Top with halved cherry tomatoes, too, if you have them.