This last week in July marks the half way point for summer. Enjoy spicy black beans in the middle of summer or again in the middle of winter. I’m loving our new base for making black beans in the instant pot. We’re calling it the Golden Base.Print
Black Bean Soup
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 85
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Soup
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, ends trimmed, whole
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No Chicken Base
- 16 oz (1 lb) dried black beans, picked over and rinsed (but not soaked)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can (4 oz.) green chilis
- 1 small (7 oz.) can chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped (see note)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon marmite or vegemite
- 1 teaspoon black strap molasses
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 stick vegan butter (like earth balance)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons distilled white, apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped (optional)
- Cooked white rice (optional)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Smoked salt
- Kite Hill Almond Milk Sour Cream
- Avocados, sliced
- Radish, sliced
- Whole cilantro leaves
- Green Onions, cut on the diagonal
- Corn Chips
- Put 4 cups of water in the microwave and heat until boiling, about 5 minutes.
- Set the instant pot to saute and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic and stir until coated with olive oil. Sautee for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Carefully, pour in the boiling water and stir. Add black pepper and Better than Bouillon. Stir again until the bouillon is dissolved and evenly distributed. Click the cancel button on the instant pot. Put the lid on the instant pot and rotate to close the lid. Turn the venting knob to the sealing position and set the IP to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. When done, natural release for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure by turning the venting knob to venting position. When floating valve drops, open the lid carefully
- Carefully transfer the cooked vegetables and broth to a high speed blender (or use a high power immersion blender if you don’t have a powerful blender). Blend until completely smooth.
- Return golden base to the instant pot and pour in the rinsed and sorted black beans. Return the lid to the instant pot and rotate to close. Turn the venting knob to the sealing position and set the IP to cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. When done, natural release for 25 minutes and then quick release to release the remaining pressure.
- A good time to start making the rest of the soup is when the beans are naturally releasing (after they are done cooking but before the venting knob has been switched to the venting position).
- Heat olive oil in a medium soup pan until shimmering. Add the diced onions, green chilis, and chipotle chiles. Saute for a few minutes. Stir in the minced garlic, jalapeños, tomato paste, liquid smoke, marmite or vegemite, black strap molasses and nutritional yeast. Stir until well combined and saute a few more minutes. Deglaze the pot with the red wine.
- Stir in the can of diced tomatoes with juice and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, until all the vegetables are very tender. Turn off the heat and stir in the vegan butter and vinegar to taste.
- When the beans have naturally released for 25 minutes, release the remaining pressure by turning the venting knob to the venting position. When the floating valve drops, open the lid carefully. Add the soup ingredient to the instant pot and stir until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- If using, saute enough kale in the soup ingredient pan for the number of servings you will use at this meal (see note). Reheat cooked rice if needed. Divide rice between serving bowls. Ladle soup over rice and top with sauteed kale (if using). Season with fresh ground pepper and smoked salt. Top with other garnishes and serve with corn chips.
Note: If chipotle chiles are unavailable, use 1 – 2 tablespoon chili powder. Add to soup ingredients at the same point in the recipe as the chipotle chiles in adobo.
Note: I like really fresh greens. Keeping sauteed greens separate from the soup means leftover servings are stored without cooked greens. Sautee greens as needed and stir into soup right before serving.
Keywords: Vegan Soup, Vegan Dinner Party