Chickpeas in your instant pot turn out perfectly tender with no soaking needed. Try making them with our “Golden Base” and then stir them into this delicious curry soup recipe.Print
Chickpea Curry with Potato Soup
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 100
- Total Time: 2 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, ends trimmed, whole
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No Chicken Base
- 16 oz (1 lb) dried chickpeas, picked over and rinsed (but not soaked)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 – 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 – 5 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 – 4 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (or 1 teaspoon ginger juice if you can find it)
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 stick vegan butter (like earth balance)
- 1/2 bunch kale or swiss chard, stems removed and chopped (optional)
- Cooked white rice (optional)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Smoked salt
- Kite Hill almond milk greek yogurt
- Fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Whole cilantro leaves
- Chives, chopped
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted
- Put 4 cups of water in the microwave and heat until boiling, about 5 minutes.
- Set the instant pot to saute and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic and stir until coated with olive oil. Sautee for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Carefully, pour in the boiling water and stir. Add black pepper and Better than Bouillon. Stir again until the bouillon is dissolved and evenly distributed. Click the cancel button on the instant pot. Put the lid on the instant pot and rotate to close the lid. Turn the venting knob to the sealing position and set the IP to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. When done, natural release for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure by turning the venting knob to venting position. When floating valve drops, open the lid carefully.
- Carefully transfer the cooked vegetables and broth to a high speed blender (or use a high power immersion blender if you don’t have a powerful blender). Blend until completely smooth.
- Return 2 cups of the golden base to the instant pot and pour in the rinsed and sorted chickpeas. Add more golden base until covered by an inch. Set the remaining base aside for the soup.
- Return the lid to the instant pot and rotate to close. Turn the venting knob to the sealing position and set the IP to cook on high pressure for 40 minutes. When done, natural release for 25 minutes and then quick release to release the remaining pressure.
- A good time to start making the rest of the soup is when the chickpeas are naturally releasing (after they are done cooking but before the venting knob has been switched to the venting position).
- Heat olive oil in a medium soup pan until shimmering. Add the diced onions, celery, potatoes, sweet potatoes and red pepper. Saute for about 10 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic, spices and nutritional yeast. Stir until well coated and saute a few more minutes until fragrant. Deglaze the pot with the white wine.
- Stir in the rest of the golden base and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, until all the vegetables are very tender. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for 2 – 5 more minutes.
- While soup is simmering, add soy sauce, ginger, lemon or lime juice and white miso paste to a small bowl. Muddle with the back of a spoon until miso is mixed in well without any lumps.
- Back to the soup: turn off the heat and stir in the soy sauce mixture and vegan butter.
- When the chickpeas have naturally released for 25 minutes, release the remaining pressure by turning the venting knob to the venting position. When the floating valve drops, open the lid carefully. Add the soup ingredients to the instant pot and stir until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- If using, saute enough kale or swiss chard in the soup ingredient pan for the number of servings you will use at this meal (see note). Reheat cooked rice if needed. Divide rice between serving bowls. Ladle soup over rice and top with sauteed greens (if using). Season with fresh ground pepper and smoked salt. Top with other garnishes and serve.
Note: I like really fresh greens. Keeping sauteed greens separate from the soup means leftover servings are stored without cooked greens. Sauteed greens as needed and stir into soup right before serving.
Keywords: Vegan Soup, Vegan Dinner Party